Congratulations to Jessika on her first year as the Editor of Oh My! Handmade Goodness! July seems to be full of birthdays and celebrations – we celebrated Omiyage‘s 1st birthday this month too. And what a great way to celebrate here on OMHG – a whole month jam-packed with parties!
So, let’s keep this party going with a round-up of fun tutorials you can use to celebrate in handmade style!
We all know that as much fun as a visit to the party store can be, nothing really beats a celebration full of handmade touches. Whether you bake the cake, sew the birthday crown, or make the favours; making something to celebrate with the special people in our lives is truly an expression of love. These tutorials have a little something for everyone – from fun activities you can involve the kids in to gorgeous desserts that appeal to a more adult taste.
Set the tone for your celebration with a handmade invitation. Step away from the computer (well, not till you finish reading this!) and send snail mail instead of email this time! Get inspired by these DIY invitations:
1. Who doesn’t love butterflies? Get little hands involved while making these butterfly invitations with was eigenes. (in German, but the step by step pictorial is very clear).
2. Whether you want to host a cozy movie night for two, or a movie-themed party, this sweet popcorn invitation from Eat Drink Chic is wonderful inspiration.
3. Think outside the envelope! Make confetti invitations with Oh Happy Day.
4. Want a simple way to make each invitation unique? Craft washi tape cards with Omiyage Blogs.
Your guests are invited, the date is set, it’s time to bring a little magic into the room. Here are some colourful ways to make the ordinary look a little more extraordinary:
5. Streamers reinvented are just oh so pretty! Make ruffled streamers with Made.
6. Think a party just isn’t a party without balloons? Try something new and string together balloons with Design Mom.
7. Here’s a simple garland with big impact. Sew this paper garland with Mini-eco.
8. Looking for that wow factor? Create a streamer and garland installation with O Chickadee.
You’ve decorated the room, but how about the people in it? A successful fête is a lighthearted affair – set the mood with party hats, pretty crowns and photo booth accessories:
9. Classic party hats are so very festive. Make your own with Jones Design Company (image via The Sweetest Occasion).
10. Make those party hats into modern heirlooms. Craft felt part hats with Princess Lasertron.
11. Sweet summertime gatherings will be even sweeter with flower crowns. Learn how with Smitten and Hazel.
12. DIY Photobooths are all the rage. Increase the fun with these printable props from Oh Happy Day.
The Party Game
Nothing says party fun quite like a piñata! I’ve made a few of the typical painted papier maché versions in the past, but modern piñatas are anything but typical. Here are four tutorials which will have you creating your own whackable masterpiece:
13. Bring a beloved drawing to life. Make a custom piñata with Giddy Giddy.
14. No more fighting over goodies. Create a mini-piñata for each guest with Ruffled Blog.
15. Never mind number candles! Make a number piñata with The Sweetest Occasion
16. Who doesn’t love ice cream? Craft this larger than life ice cream cone with Simply Modern Mom.
It must be said – it just isn’t a party without some celebratory treats! Here are some sweet treats which look as gorgeous as they taste:
17. Looking for the perfect summer party treat? Whip up ice cream sandwiches with Tartelette
18. Take advantage of this year’s berries. Try making a pavlova with What Katie Ate.
19. Sometimes it’s more fun not to share! Turn your cupcakes into mini cakes with Sweetapolita.
20. Talk about gorgeous! Bake a pink ombre cake with Call Me Cupcake.
While some of these might seem a little birthday-centric, there’s no reason to limit your fun to birthdays only! Celebrate a job done well, a beautiful summer day, a new friend.
I’d love to know, what are your most treasured celebration traditions? Or your silliest? In my family, we sing Happy Birthday to Canada on Canada Day and celebrate everyone’s birthday – adults and all – with themes, silly party games and piñatas. Why should the kids have all the fun? Have fun with them!
In celebration of Jessika’s one year anniversary here at OMHG and the fabulous celebration-filled month of July, Omiyage would love to offer an exclusive treat to all OMHG readers. Get a Free Gift with purchase when you shop at Omiyage! Simply let us know that you’re an OMHG reader during checkout.