Becoming a community citizen
OMHG is a cooperative social network and community for the head, heart and hands. We welcome anyone interested in working together who value our simple Principles of Goodness: Respect, Equality, Diversity, Cooperation, Compassion, Goodness & Citizenship. Your membership to OMHG gives you Community Citizenship with full access to our Communifire powered social network of goodness and a voice + vote on our future. Engage in our daily conversations, share your skills, participate in collaborative projects like our sold out Maker Mail, suggest changes or improvements, and step up for leadership roles-however you join in we can’t wait to welcome you!
Benefits to Citizenship
- Access to our warm & welcoming community with every tool we need to connect + collaborate! We’ve partnered with Communifire to offer our members all the features of a full social network (without any social network ickyness) with calendars, discussion forums, blog, articles, chat & many more ways for us to collaborate and share our ideas like never before.
- Plug into true, meaningful connections. The kind that lift you up, inspire confidence, and offer you a safety net for taking action on what you care about most from crafting a lovely life to making positive change. In a world that keeps encouraging us to shout to be heard we choose to listen carefully and work together instead of adding to the noise.
- Be welcomed into our family & find your community. We’ve supported each other through big things like new babies, crazy awesome dreams, success/struggle, illness, loss, signing contracts + book deals, planning launches and collaborations. We are also there like the best kind of family for the ins and outs of every day life, reminding each other of all the good in the world and just how awesome we are every single day.
- Make a movement. OMHG is creating the first cooperatively owned social network, a true gathering place where we are all teachers who cooperate instead of compete.
- Set your pace. Choose how much time you spend with us-whether you pop in for quick visits or dive right into leadership, there is a place for you.
- Find collaborators & cheerleaders. Stop trying to do everything alone! Collaborators with strengths and skills you lack + cheerleaders to share and support your work is everything whether you are a hand-maker or a change-maker (or both!).
- Skill sharing & mentorship: We mentor each other by drawing on our diverse experiences and skills to create a network of open sharing and peer support.
- Leadership opportunities: A great community needs a team where everyone is invested in making awesomeness happen. Passionate about the maker movement, cooperatives, and social enterprise? Support our board as we create a brand new type of cooperative. Want to be part of collaborative products, courses and events? Join the community development team. Interested in learning more about connecting through blogging, working with contributors, creating meaningful content and editorial schedules? Get active in our editorial team & learn the ropes. Want to reach 1000s of people with your ideas for community + creativity? Join the community leadership team and use OMHG’s social reach to host conversations and gather creatives.
- Annual General Party: Our annual general party is a virtual gathering that takes place May 1st of each year where citizens vote on the future of our community, sign up for leadership roles, and craft our offerings for the coming year.
- Events & Gatherings: Our first annual gathering will be a community led Maker’s Retreat, October 17-22nd at Hollyhock on Cortes Island. Find all the details on how we are crafting this first event together here.
We are building a safe space open to all makers no matter what stage they are at (even if you aren’t even sure you ARE a maker yet). Come with a willingness to participate and treat each other with kindness and respect. Find and offer mentorship, give and receive advice + support, promote and collaborate, talk out your questions or concerns, plan parties and gatherings on + offline. Build the world’s first online cooperative. Your community is waiting!
Why we love the OMHG community
I’ve experienced first hand the impact that is made- the ideas that are shared- the unspoken permission that is given to innovate, achieve, fail, and succeed. The Oh My! community is unlike any others; where entrepreneurs and creatives are working in collaboration opposed to competition. Relationships are fostered on a basis of not what I can get, but rather how can I give & support. The personal connections I’ve made here have helped me to grow & thrive not only as an entrepreneur, but as a mother, a community leader, and a social innovator. I’ve been gifted the unique opportunity to foster even deeper connections within the community offline- meeting, adventuring, and collaborating with more than 15 amazing woman. I’m forever grateful for real life experiences shared, vulnerability lived, and the unique flavor each woman (and man) bring into our creative space. ~Jenelle
I love it here, because you friends are like no others. I love these forums because they aren’t just about thinking, they are about Collaborating and Doing and Playing together. I love these forums because I can trust you all, I don’t feel nervous sharing WIPs or asking for help because there’s a general spirit of lovingkindness and genuine enthusiasm. I love these forums because I MISS YOU when I’m gone. ~Karen
I love this community because there’s nothing but mutual support, respect, friendships, encouragement, empowerment, and there’s nothing but good vibes all around! I love this community because all you lovely people make me feel appreciated, special, and empowered. No matter what my mood is, I always leave this space with a better sense of self-worth, confidence, and ready to punch the day straight in the face! ~Citlalli
Forget Planet Fitness, THIS is the judgement free zone! Honestly, you all are the only people I know who I can share my thoughts, feelings, self doubts, and motivations with. I know you all appreciate what I’m going through, and understand it too. We’re all in it together, and we want each other to succeeed. We’re working with peers, but somehow the competition has left the relationship. Pure magic. ~Melissa
I love this community because I can leave my anxiety and nerves at the door. Even if I find someone here doing exactly what I’m doing, the first thought is always that we should work together to make something great and/or help each other succeed vs. feelings of jealousy or inadequacy. I read somewhere that jealousy is simply the knowledge that that person is doing the thing you know you can do, but aren’t. We are ALL “doing” so the only feeling is that we are all together and fabulous. I love this community because it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for my business, confidence, creativity, and self. ~Sara
Why do I love the OMHG community? Wow, where to start? This community is packed full of talented, generous, inspiring people doing amazing courageous creative things on a daily basis. But what is truly extraordinary is that it never feels intimidating or scary – just the opposite in fact. Whatever you’re doing, whatever you are going through, whether it’s happy or sad, difficult or exciting (or all of those), there is always someone there to offer words of support, encouragement and advice and I always come away from time spent in the forums feeling better about pretty much everything, not just my work! ~Sam
I feel I’ve barely grazed the tip of the community so far, but the words that are ringing truest for me are trust, play, encouragement, inspiration and joy. That’s what we have right here – for a small monthly investment, we can create our very own ‘room of requirement’. ~Pippa