We want to hear from creative entrepreneurs and share your goodness! Please add our editorial deadlines to your calendar and read these guidelines completely before submitting.
Every month on OMHG we explore a new monthly theme, learn skills, share experiences, and make new friends. This is our place to connect directly with other creative entrepreneurs by contributing to building a supportive community and exploring the world of businessy goodness together. Here everyone is an expert but no one is the expert-what a difference that makes! After 3 years as a multi-contributor blog we are opening the doors to our themes for community submissions starting September 2013. Join our themes or pitch a series & help to grow our community! If you submit four posts that are chosen for publication in a year you can become an OMHG contributor with a contributor profile, access to our forums, and a contributor dashboard for submitting your posts.
- Scroll down to review our themes from until August 2014 and deadlines for each topic
- We are looking for well written, not overly promotional posts with high quality images or graphics*
- Get to know our community and editor Jessika Hepburn, join an #OMHG chat, meet the contributors, check out our themes, read through our archives, or become a member of our forums-the best ever submissions are the ones that come from readers and supporters because you know our community better than anyone! If you’ve been hanging around here for awhile chances are you have something amazing to share with us.
- All submissions should be sent via the form at the bottom of this page
- Include a 40-50 word bio, a 200×200 headshot or button, and links to your sites/social media pages
- There are 3 ways to contribute- submit a post on a monthly theme, pitch a series, or share a community story. If you have a creative post idea or collaboration that isn’t covered here but you think is a perfect fit please select other from the drop down menu.
- Please be patient! It may take up to 3 weeks to hear back if your submission or pitch is accepted and find out your publication date. Currently every email is read and replied to by editor Jessika or a volunteer editor and our turnaround time on responses can be slow, please know your contribution is valued and will be reviewed as soon as possible!
Monthly Themes & Deadlines
February: Skill Swap
After our initial burst of energy in January it can be easy to lose momentum-this month we’ll inspire each other by teaching and learning together in a month long skill swap!
Post ideas: Teach & learn creative skills from how to crochet a granny square, hand lettering fundamentals, sewing essentials, or installing webfonts on our blogs-whatever creative skill you feel really confident in and are able to share clearly. Printables, tutorials, craft alongs, step-by-step how to’s and video demonstrations are all perfect for this month.
March: 4th Annual Ethics Expo
Entrepreneurship is filled with ethical questions-from resolving conflicts to the sticky world of copyright law and infringement so for the 4th year in a row we’ll spend the month exploring the ins & outs of ethics and entrepreneurship.
In 2013 our Shoots to Roots theme was filled with beautiful parables for how business and gardening relate. Tending and nurturing came up throughout the theme so we are returning with a focus on building mindful businesses that nurture us and the world.
Post ideas: Explore the relationship between your business and nature-from making earth friendly business choices to deciding on small and intentional growth. Posts on how you nurture your business, features or interviews with inspirational business owners, sources for earth friendly materials, or showcases of entrepreneurs who are focused on natural products or services. Tutorials for fun projects like seed bombs or creative reuse would be awesome!
May: Organization 101
It’s spring cleaning time! Dust off your planners and bust out the brooms we’re straightening everything up and putting things back where they belong. From optimizing our websites and maintaining our blogs to keeping our freezers stocked and our to-do lists tidy, we’ll share ideas and inspiration for organizing our lives and work.
Post ideas: Show us how you organize and keep your business running smoothly, share tutorials or printables for staying on top of our busy lives, interview a professional organizer for their tips, take us on a tour of your workspace, round up a list of applications or resources to keep us on track, share a before/after of a workspace or organization makeover!
June: Camp OMHG
Pack up your bags campers, it is time for our second ever Camp OMHG! Two months of adventure and exploration followed by a nice long August break.
Post ideas: Have fun with this theme by playing at being a crafty camp leader! Submit camp fire tales of times you sought adventure, travel, the unknown- share stories of where/when you have been challenged or headed into the wilderness. Camp craft activities & tutorials like the ones we shared last year. Badges for creative campers. Weekly challenges, skill building posts, leadership training and business survival tips. Other ideas-packing for camp (essentials for biz), entrepreneur basics, worksheets & printables, summer reading book lists, lessons & assignments on business mapping, orienteering, creative adventuring/innovation. Leadership skills-empower our community to step up as leaders, supporting causes/communities, teaching & public speaking. Profiles/interviews/case studies of creative adventures & trailblazers.
July: Camp OMHG
See June for details
August: August Break
Time to slow down before September and rest up for the month of August.
Post ideas: Submit one photo and a paragraph of how you wind down and recharge-glass of wine and a bubble bath? Gathering with friends? An adventure somewhere exotic? Dinner with family? Kick up your feet and relax while we share our blissful moments of total rest. You can also share a post of a tutorial, recipe, or exercise that always helps you feel refreshed.
Submit A Series
Become an OMHG contributor and share your skills and experiences with our community by writing or pitching a series or teaching a technique! We are looking for well written 4-12 article series on topics of importance to our community of creative entrepreneurs or projects that teach creative/businessy skills and techniques. Once your series is approved you will receive a contributor login and profile, access to our member + contributor forums and a contributor dashboard for submitting your posts. In order to maintain your contributor status you need to submit 4 posts per calendar year that are chosen for publication.
Essay series: We want to read true stories of creative entrepreneurs, write us a series on what you’ve learned from your adventures in *insert your creative business here* (jewellery, supplies, stationery, wedding planning, marketing, virtual assistant etc.). Other ideas include art licensing 101, selling online, wholesale/consignment, marketing for small business, DIY packaging and design, etc.
How to series: Together we have the skills to make all the things (painting! stamping! crocheting! hand lettering!) and use tools + technology (Adobe products! WordPress! Customize social media pages!). Are you awesome at coding websites, organizing workspaces, creating business plans, organizing events, throwing amazing parties, or practical tutorials like building and using a light box for product photos? Don’t keep that goodness all to yourself, share it with us!
Your series pitch or submission should:
- Be related to creative entrepreneurship or demonstrate a creative technique or skill.
- Include either a clear pitch outlining your series and what you intend to cover in each instalment or have the full content for all your posts. Series can be published monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly. Project series should include well-written and easy to follow text instructions as well as either high quality images or video.
- If submitting a pitch please include at least one high quality image or graphic sized at 600px wide to show the style and type of graphics you will be using.
Has the OMHG community helped you grow your business or support your creativity? Did you get together with other OMHG’ers or collaborate on a project? We want to hear all about it! Submit a short essay of 4-800 words about your community story along with 1-8 pictures!
TERMS & DEFINITIONS
*Well written: We focus on submissions that are clear, heartfelt, and free from excessive grammar or spelling errors. If English is not your first language and/or you need support telling your story please use the contact form, tell us what you are struggling with, and we’ll find a friend to help you out.
*Non-promotional: If you want to share your work as a creative we couldn’t be more excited but we will not publish submissions where the main goal is selling. Use your OMHG submission for storytelling and sharing not sales & the connections you make will lead to new customers!
*High quality images: These are a must for OMHG! Your images should be in focus, well lit, and either evoke a feeling or clearly demonstrate a technique. Graphics should be clean, bright and use a maximum of 3 complementary fonts. All images should be sized at 580 pixels wide. If designing images is not your strong suit you can ask for help with this when you send your submisson!