Last week’s chat was co-hosted by Brett Torrey Haynes of I AM THE LAB, whose site is “dedicated to helping the handmade community utilize every resource available to encourage folks to think handmade first.” His post on Oh My! Handmade Goodness not only revealed his wonderful project #ICANDOIT365, but it was also peppered with great tips on how to utilize your blog for your handmade business.
… and with Jessika at the helm, so it all continued during the chat!
on CONTENT …
- thekitty Am turning to blog for my jewelry shop .. but not sure what to blog about .. kind of lost lol #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Diversifying content is great! RT @IAMTHELAB: First: besides your art, do you have another favorite passion? Cooking? Other crafts? #omhg
- leanimale I have a challenge with thinking too much about it and second guessing myself about what I want to write. #omhg
- @thepetitcadeau:follow blogs that interest you. that INSPIRE YOU! find bloggers that you feel connected w/ great things will come! #omhg
- IAMTHELAB #omhg People love to see your process. Take a photo at the end of your creative day, post that image tomorrow. You just blogged! #omhg
on SCHEDULING …
- thepetitcadeau @IAMTHELAB blogging is FUN for me….BUT I do sometimes find it hard to fit it in with everything else #omhg
- OneElevenStudio @ohmyhandmade staying on a consistent schedule #omhg
- perideaudesigns I’ve tried an editorial calendar but find I lose interest for those posts. When I get inspired, I want to tackle it immediately. #omhg
- RoriStories Since I started blogging daily, my YOY traffic increased 646%. (Posts can be simple, like today’s.) http://t.co/19VbSLDs #omhg #icandoit365
- @IAMTHELAB: key to regular posting is PLANNING. Get a diary, sit down on Sunday eve, think of 5 topics, find them, plan to post. #omhg
- clareyuille Blogging once a week works for me – think you have to find your own rhythm #omhg
on YOUR VOICE …
- nisseworks @ohmyhandmade Content & connections. I’m always afraid of offending/turning people off if I use *my* voice #omhg
- @blstationery: I dont think comments should define ur success or discourage you if there arent a lot. Keep your voice in ur posts. #omhg
- thelanguidlion You have to stand out from millions of other blogs by using YOUR voice, YOUR content (or at least your spin on it) & by being engaging #omhg
- abbyglassenberg Building a following is building hundreds of human relationships, thru responding to comments, emails, having an authentic voice. #omhg
OMHGchat Be conscious about the way you share & consume online content & what you send out into the world-it comes back to you! #ethicsmatter #omhg
- IAMTHELAB #omhg Create posts based on other artists u love. One great resource: @bigcartel Directory: http://t.co/2lOqxE5U #omhg
- @IAMTHELAB: OK, heres a post to use @etsy treasuries on your blog: http://t.co/n0oRpuzB Heres the tool: http://t.co/o6OBVuDY #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Endless inspiration here! RT @IAMTHELAB: @sfgirlbybay That resources page is a treasure trove of goodness #omhg http://t.co/iXyuK8XM #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Lost & Taken is a great resource for backgrounds & textures http://t.co/jcC1Vc3u #omhg
- @IAMTHELAB: #omhg Another resource: Indie magazines and booksellers. @sweetpaul @loony @sistermag @rue are some of my favs. #omhg
- @IAMTHELAB: My last secret traffic-driving tip: posting videos from @vimeo. This post got 25,000 hits http://t.co/xhP4Q6Fb #omhg
- IAMTHELAB #omhg For all who want to promote commenting on blogs, you can do that here: http://t.co/8a8RikV6 every Tuesday! #omhg
OMHGchat A giant thanks to @IAMTHELAB for co-hosting & sharing the #icandoit365 project with us! http://t.co/2L8FhPqr <-more info here #omhg
You can also read the entire transcript here.
Wondering what is #OMHG anyway & how you can join in? Visit our chat schedule to find out what we’re chatting about this month + what our community is all about by clicking right here. This month we’re all about the Awesome!