Author: Nanako O'Donnell

Dive into Business Ethics: What’s Beneath the Surface?

omhg DIVE

Summer Swim illustration courtesy of Weather Girl Shop on Etsy

Lately, I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about all the systems that surround us.  Just take a look at the booklet that comes with a new charge card and imagine the intricate web that supports all those terms & conditions.  Now, expand that to the level of the IRS and you’ll come to appreciate the sheer weight of these systems set in place to manage life.  When I began reflecting about this month’s business ethics topic, I naturally folded it into my current line of thinking.  I saw it as a grid like energy pattern set up between 2 parties.  In this grid is all the information that’s needed to help the people of the world conduct business with one another. As a small business owner, I then imagined how this grid helped me to interact with my customers. What I asked myself next was quite intriguing, “Why do I need any system between myself and others?” I was curious, so I continued exploring.

I’m a visual thinker and so I often see things in my mind as I begin asking questions.  I saw “business ethics” as a sphere of coded information buzzing around, but I wanted to know what was behind all those words.  Looking deeper beyond the symbols of information, the bubble popped open and I very clearly saw what was in the center—the individual.  You stand at the very core of your business ethics—nothing else.  If you remove all the systems that surround you, what is left behind is just you standing on the Earth beneath the Creator (insert whatever words resonates with you).  Keeping it very simple, you stand in your own 100% personal liability under Universal Law of Do No Harm.  It’s a reset button that wakes us up from the duality of existence and opens our eyes to meaning of the Mayan greeting In La Kesh—I am another you.

Read more

The USPS and Your Business: An Examination


Meet Ruth.  She’s the postmaster at our local post office in Woolwich, Maine where we drop off our product to be shipped out to our customers in the US and abroad.  You don’t have to be on a first name basis with your post office to use this service or appreciate its value.  As a small business owner, the United States Postal Service (USPS) plays a major role in my day-to-day operations.  We ship 70% of the items we sell in our Etsy shop using Priority Mail and the other 30% using UPS for our larger boxes.  So, when I heard the news about the reason behind the financial crisis that faces the USPS and the end of Saturday mail delivery—my ears perked up and I’m pretty sure yours will too. Instead of giving solutions to this situation that affects so many of our businesses I did some research and digging so I could share the facts with you all for my first OMHG contribution. Together we can explore the problem and hopefully come up with some creative ideas. So get out your magnifying glass and notebook, let’s get investigating!

Read more