Question #1: Let’s dive in! Have you ever sold at a craft fair or trade show? What was your biggest lesson learned from the experience?
- @tif_smith: @missprissypaige i have a much better idea of my target market and my design style now than i did a year ago. #omhg
- SmartCreativeW Biggest lesson: You need to bring the “friendly” face with you. Be approachable!! #omhg
- ohmyhandmade RT @SmartCreativeW: Awesome article Rock your Christmas sales! http://t.co/jwz6JyMD Jenna, you are too good! #omhg
- Linkouture @ohmyhandmade Read bunch of blog articles about what to bring, displays, & of course making lots of jewelry so I have enough inventory #omhg
- sparrowscript Just did my first show in September. Biggest lesson: you can NEVER have too much stock with you. #omhg
- @makeitshow: only one way to find out. Sign up for a smaller show and just give it a try. You will learn SOO much #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Work your way up! I started at farmers markets & moved up to fashion shows-start with a minimal investment & work up to bigger events #omhg
- PatternedApp @sparrowscript Yes! Especially for the holidays having small, cheaper options for gift buyers is super important. #omhg (have some smaller, specialty items on hand…)
- @makeitshow: I love PR cause its free and effective. Write a press release and send it out to local media and blogs. It is magic #omhg (re: any marketing tips?)
- missprissypaige Candy at your table? I’d stop! RT @StephCreekmur I have my VERY 1st show starting tonight-Any last minute tips/things not 2 forget? #omhg
- PetiteTuques How far away do you go to do a craft sale? My locals are looking for bargains- not highend fashion 😉 #omhg
- allisajacobs Oh, and I found many people like to look in person & then follow up later… Making a memorable booth w. biz cards/takeaways essential #omhg
- Pexmas RT @makeitshow: @sparrowscript AND get their emails too. Have a giveaway so they want to sign up for your email list…or have ballots #omhg
Question #2: If you haven’t sold at an event yet-are you planning to? Is there anything holding you back from taking the dive?
- StephCreekmur @makeitshow #omhg YES! I keep telling myself to enjoy the journey! It will be a learning experience, I’m sure! 🙂
- NicoleTamarin I got a part time job just to pay for the trade show that I knew was the right one even though it was pricey and I was starting out #omhg
- missprissypaige @ohmyhandmade For me, the cost to enter. Is it a smart business decision and how much will I gain? #omhg
- InkandDirt @ohmyhandmade I turned down because don’t have proper way to display and unsure if worth trouble/investment. Do want to do one though. #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Plan your shows out a year in advance-the year before visit the event, talk to vendors, do a little shopping & then apply early! #omhg
- PatternedApp @ohmyhandmade In addition to planning shows, plan inventory so you don’t go crazy during the holidays! #omhg
- storyofmum: Im often drawn to stalls where the makers are making as well as selling #omhg
- thelanguidlion I think finding a fair/tradeshow/market that fits YOU will hugely benefit, cause if you feel out of place, that will come through ;-( #omhg
Question #3: Making the sale is just the first step though! How do you build a relationship with customers that lasts beyond the sale/show?
- PoppySparkles @ohmyhandmade simple gift wrap, handwritten thank you note and being thoughtful all keep customers coming back #omhg
- makeitshow @ohmyhandmade get their emails so they can be on your list. If you don’t send out a newsletter make sure you can engage in socialmedia #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Ask them about their day/kids/hair…RT @SmartCreativeW: Yes! Make a relationship…become practiced at chit chat! It relaxes people! #omhg
- sparrowscript @ohmyhandmade I chat a bit with the customer while I wrap their purchase; good to connect a little. And make sure they take a card! #omhg
- PetiteTuques Coupons! RT @ohmyhandmade: How do you build a relationship with customers that lasts beyond the sale/show? #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Engage in conversation and be as helpful as you can be. Ask questions like, “who do you still need to buy for?” via @makeitshow post! #omhg
- allisajacobs @SmartCreativeW @ohmyhandmade always thought a lookbook would be great, show items in all their glory & interaction for buyers #omhg
- sparrowscript This is a really thoughtful guide to everything you need to know for your first craft show. Helped me a bunch! http://t.co/q6MfO7uD #omhg
- allisajacobs Oh and having a credit card processor tripled my sales 🙂 FYI #omhg
- sparrowscript @OMHGchat Agree! One card seller at a past show had QR codes on each one that took you to a video of that card design being made. #omhg
- thelanguidlion @OMHGchat @allisajacobs @tif_smith What about a digital lookbook playing/interactive on an iPad or laptop at a show? w/a card & link? #omhg **Make sure you request a power bar!**
Despite Jess being thrown in Twitter jail (again. and early this go round!), we had a jam-packed chat filled with great questions, interaction, ideas, links and good will… pretty normal for this community, really 😉
You can also read the whole transcript here.
What is #omhg? We are a community of talented, creative and caring people who visit every Thursday on Twitter from 1-2EST with the hashtag #omhg to chat about our monthly theme on Oh My! Handmade + life, business & everything in between. Empowering, honest, supportive & full of ideas, our chats leave us all feeling ready to take on the world-come join us and make some new friends!
Missed the chat? Share your tips/ideas for rocking your sales in the comments!