Continuing our monthly focus on DIY branding, yesterday’s chat was all about DIY Packaging (check out peppersprout’s post about evolving packaging), and as handmade creatives, we all had some great input & ideas… as well as some awesome examples!
Question #1: How do you package up your goodness? This can include biz cards/press kits etc… for service based biz!
- pigandfish Right now our packaging is focused on protecting our product, so not very exciting. Bubble wrap & tape. #omhg
- tif_smith we’re in the process of designing a new (our first) press kit for design/printing, so i’ve been drooling over everyone else’s instead.#omhg
- ohmyhandmade I have postcards/mini-prints/stickers from@overheardatmoo I package in pretty glassine bags from @olivemanna+ tape from @Omiyage_ca #omhg
- Lu_and_Ed I use all recycled materials for packaging – flip food boxes inside out and tape them up. #omhg
- MeaganVisser I wrap mine in white tissue paper, tie it with twine, add in a biz card and thank you card, and that’s it. It lacks I feel. #omhg
- ColleenAttara I use scrap matts from framing stores as well. They have boxes full of it…just ask. #omhg
- MarisaEdghill My packaging is kraft paper bags with stamped logo, sealed with washi tape & kraft biz card. #omhg
- RoriStories I rescue tissue paper for packaging. I use twine, stickers and stamps. I want buyers to feel like they’re opening a present.#omhg
- ohmyhandmade If you make handmade work including a handwritten note goes a LONG way, I always look for & am disappointed when I don’t get one! #omhg
- pigandfish Print USPS direct from Etsy or Paypal RT @Lu_and_Ed: Do you guys hand address packages or print labels? #omhg
- Origami! RT
@erinmharris For those who sell small, fragile stuff (like jewelry): How do you package/mail them? #OMHG http://bit.ly/RXD2Ed
- thelanguidlion @erinmharris Thanks! I wrap the product in tissue paper, then put in origami, then in 100% plant clear sleeve, then paper envelope! #omhg
- @sparrowscript: Ive had some Etsy buddies get this stamp of mine to use in their packaging: https://t.co/qKntm3Xn#omhg
Question #2: What are your go-to sources for DIY packaging supplies?
- tif_smith i just recently discovered paper presentation and they have some fun stuff: http://t.co/ksQBGCz9 #omhg
- @MeaganVisser always some nice pre-made options on@Etsy. or, if you have a silhouette or a cricut, you could make your own labels. #omhg
- peppersprouts packaging sources you may not have thought of.http://t.co/LIuO93ue http://t.co/5UdkpfmR (favor boxes) #omhg
- @ohmyhandmade: OOh! Flat mailer inspiration here: http://t.co/8zkU3wR1 #omhg
- PoppySparkles @ohmyhandmade eBay is good for organza bags and tissue paper. Moo or vistaprint for biz cards. Jewellery boxes from Potters UK #omhg
- TrashN2Tees Custom stamps- Heck yes! I’ve had 2 made- love them. Check out http://t.co/5z4nZEib #omhg
- storyofmum You might like the mail art that @LaundryLineDiv does: lovely #omhghttp://t.co/5sPWxjJU
- nuzzledesign Love me some Uline! RT @IAMTHELAB One resource that some forget about is ULINE. They have great prices on those brown paper rolls #omhg
- zoe_rooney And for stamps I love the wood-handle version fromhttp://t.co/CkftF0eT #omhg
- tif_smith ooh … Moo stickers. yum. sticker robot is also fun:http://t.co/KAtoPhmm #omhg
- @zoe_rooney I used to swear byhttp://t.co/poui4PbQ when I was doing retail #omhg
- ohmyhandmade I order big packages of wool felt from Mercurius:http://t.co/258MaBQ9 also great source for high end paper #omhg
- @TrashN2Tees: huzzah for eco packaging- if anyone is looking for biodegradable mailers I suggest @Ecoenclose #omhg
- TrashN2Tees boxes too and paperboard mailers! http://t.co/pwp6JBk6 @ecoenclose #omhg
- @peppersprouts: clear bags is great (they have boxes too) we use them for our cheese marker packaging #omhghttp://t.co/HFwvZ95q #omhg
- ohmyhandmade Almost time to wrap up! You can find more resources in our Guide to Businessy Goodness: http://t.co/ZrmX1ZDC + all month on OMHG #omhg
Bonus- @ohmyhandmade: I want to update an old OMHG post http://t.co/SFGdF1Sx so be sure to share what you include with your orders. Share your packaging with us on our #OMHG Community Flickr group!
Next week on #OMHG we’ll be chatting DIY website design! Come share resources, ideas, inspiration & your own goodness!
*Please note that we’ve been having trouble with Curatede for our full transcripts as they are moving their servers, so we don’t have a link to the full transcript.
What is #omhg? We are a community of talented, creative and caring people who visit every Thursday on Twitter from 1-2EST with the hashtag #omhg to chat about our monthly theme on Oh My! Handmade + life, business & everything in between. Empowering, honest, supportive & full of ideas, our chats leave us all feeling ready to take on the world-come join us and make some new friends!
I can’t believe I missed this chat! What a great one!! There is a never ending supply of *amazing* info here–thank you!!
I’ve been looking for an eco-friendly packaging resource. Just ordered my free samples from EcoEnclose. Thank you for this post!!!
Hi April & Tawny Marie,
I’m so sorry I missed your comments, but I was away on vacation right after this chat! I hope you’ve found some great resources here… we’re hear every Thursday with extremely informative, helpful & friendly chats – you should come join us 😉
Comments are closed.