With the holidays around the corner and cold, dry winter weather upon us here in eastern Canada, I wanted to share a nice sugar scrub to make a great handcrafted gift for family and friends on your gift list this year. This scrub will tame the dry, flaky skin winter brings, and makes an excellent stocking stuffer.
Here’s what you need to make your own Moisturizing Sugar Scrub:
- Mixing Bowl
- Kitchen Scale
- Towel (7)
- Heavy Bottomed saucepan (5)
- Pipette or measuring spoons (4)
- 90 g white sugar (1)
- 30 g brown sugar* (2) *You can substitute turbinado or demerara sugar for a coarse scrub
- 45 g shea butter (honey can be substituted) (3)
- 5 g liquid vegetable glycerine (optional)
- 5 g jojoba or extra virgin olive oil (6)
- 25 drops essential oil of your choice (some popular choices are lavender, sweet orange, and clary sage)
- 2 Vitamin E capsules, broken and contents squeezed into recipe
1. Carefully weigh all dry ingredients and mix together, making sure to remove all lumps. Meanwhile, in a heavy bottomed saucepan, carefully melt shea butter, watching it closely, as it can begin to smoke and burn.
2/3. Slowly mix melted shea butter, jojoba oil, glycerine, essential oils and Vitamin E into dry ingredients.
Spoon your Moisturizing Sugar Scrub into a decorative jar, add ribbon, a hand written tag, and voila, you have a personalized handmade gift or a wonderful addition to your regular skin care routine!